Job Type: Full Time / Permanent
Location: Yarmouth (Hardscratch Road), NS, CANADA;
Job Title: Animal Control Officer / Animal Care Attendant
Number Of Positions: 1
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: To Be Negotiated.
Terms of Employment: Permanent Full time Day, with possible weeknights and weekend work required.
The Nova Scotia SPCA is a registered charity with a Provincial Office in Halifax and supports communities throughout Nova Scotia. The following full-time / permanent opportunity is available at our Yarmouth Branch location.
The successful candidate will be required to work weekends, evenings and/or a rotation schedule. In addition, the candidate must also be available to work stand-by shifts as required to respond to after hour’s emergencies. You are an energetic person who is not afraid of hard work and you get things done. You care deeply about animals and are passionate about their welfare.
This position will carry out the full range of duties of an Animal Control Officer relating to provincial and municipal laws relevant to animals. This position will respond to injured domestic animals so you must live in the Yarmouth area and be familiar with the region. You also have knowledge of the local Dog By-Laws.
Under the direction of the Chief Provincial Investigator and Provincial Branch Coordinator you will also assist in maintaining a clean environment and feeding the animals in the shelter’s care. Your excellent computer skills will assist you in maintaining the comprehensive records of the animals in our care. This position requires you to have a valid Driver’s License. You will also be required to supply a Driver’s Abstract.
Knowledge & Qualifications/Skills required:
- Minimum one year practical experience working with animals or equivalent
- Valid Class Driver’s License and Driver’s Abstract
- Demonstrable interest in all aspects of animal welfare
- A sound knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and more common diseases
- Ability to work co-operatively as a team player and demonstrate well-developed interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills and a professional demeanour
- Must possess excellent verbal, written and organizational skills
- Must be able to work with other staff, volunteers, and the public in a positive, practical manner and be able to work with minimum supervision
- Basic computer skills sufficient to deal effectively with the necessary front office routines
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. SPCA provides a competitive salary and a rewarding work environment. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations to
. It is our intention to start reviewing resume’s on April 15, 2015 and to quickly start the interview process. However, as long as this posting remains posted it is an indication that the position has not been filled and we are still accepting resumes.
Please quote "Yarmouth Branch Animal Control Officer and Animal Care Attendant" in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.